Louisa Enright's Blog

Mainely Tipping Points

Turkey Tracks: Morning in the Yard

with 6 comments

Turkey Tracks:  June 16, 2013

Morning in the Yard

I spent the morning and part of the early afternoon, truth to tell, in the yard.

I climbed on a ladder 14 times to clear out the rejected bird nest sites I wrote about yesterday.  I could only get at one nest site at a time.  Then I had to get the blower and blow off all the debris, which was considerable.  And that led to blowing off the back deck too.  So, back to watering the front plant containers, and that led to getting out the clorox to get the green slime off the white posts, and that could have led to doing the whole of the porch, but I decided to put that off for another day.

Here’s the most well-formed nest of the lot:

Bird Nest, June 2013

It was beautiful.  I am always in awe that a bird can build such an intricate object.  Such patience.  Such work.

I suspect the porch wasn’t as dry as Mama Bird might have wanted.  It had to be as dry as a tree branch and leaves for a roof though.  But, who knows.

We have rain coming in, so I decided to cut some of the lilacs, iris, and peonies.  The rain will just shatter them.  So, here’s the first yard bouquet of the summer:

First Flowers, June 2013

The whole upstairs smells of sweet lilac now.  It’s really quite heady.

I stopped to take a picture of the window over the kitchen sink as it has caught my fancy.  Maryann brought me the fern for my birthday, and I found this pretty pot for it.  It’s so lacy and graceful, isn’t it?  Friend Cassie Snyder gave me the little glass vase.  I keep it filled with small things that delight my spirit–winter, spring, summer, and fall.  The rock is part of the old Bryan mill near Reynolds, Georgia, which predates my mother.  It’s a treasure I’ve kept with me for more than thirty years now.  My uncle Buddy gave it to me one day long, long ago.

Kitchen Window, June 2013

I hope you all had as nice a Sunday as I did.

Written by louisaenright

June 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm

6 Responses

1. I am reading and enjoying everyone of our blogs!

I hope you are well. All well here; enjoying the warmest weekend of the spring thus far.

Best, Wendy

Wendy A. Laidlaw, CFP

Wendy Laidlaw

June 16, 2013 at 6:00 pm

• Hi Wendy. Thanks so much for reading the blog. I’m so glad you are enjoying it. Hugs to you today. Louisa

louisaenright

June 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

2. hi Louise- As a fellow quilter, artist, retired educator, wife and mom of grown kids, fighting to save our beautiful, natural world (such an uphill battle), I really enjoy your blog entries, and photos, and feel I’ve found in you a kindred spirit. Here in the Leatherstocking region of upstate NY, we are working to keep the pipeline, and hydro-fracking from becoming a reality.
    One comment regarding this entry: why are you using a blower? Such loud, energy-wasting monsters! How ’bout just a broom?- quieter, cleaner, almost meditative in the rhythmic movement….
    Best– Jude

judith brill

June 16, 2013 at 6:47 pm

• Hello Jude. Thanks for reading my blog. It does look like we are kindred spirits. The info on fracking is very scary. I wish you luck with your efforts. I have some info I will post on the blog one of these days. I am fairly busted about the blower vs. a broom. It’s a time issue for me. Sweep or quilt? Will try sweeping, however, as you suggest. There are places though where a broom won’t go…
      Do keep in touch. Louisa

louisaenright

June 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm

3. Oh my goodness! The flowers are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

Susan Heaath