Louisa Enright's Blog

Mainely Tipping Points

Turkey Tracks: Gundru

with 7 comments

Turkey Tracks:  October 13, 2011

Gundru

Gundru, also known as kyurtse, is a traditional fermenting method from Tibet for greens.  The result is a strong, sharp, clean-tasting pickle that can be used on kale, radish greens, mustard green, collards, or any type of hardy green in the Brassica family–not on lettuce.  I first used it for kale, and I really love it.  Like sauerkraut, Gundru will be something I’ll be keeping in my kitchen most of the time and especially during the fall/winter/early spring seasons.

Here’s Gundru in a jar that I’ve fermented, opened, and eaten some of the contents.  After this step, I put the jar into the refrigerator as I don’t have enough liquid covering the kale.

Here’s a picture of Gundru cut up and ready to be put on a plate as a condiment:

Gundru is dead easy to make.

It takes A LOT of greens to stuff a quart Mason jar–Katz says the greens from about 8 plants, and I think that’s true.

Maybe let the greens wilt in the sun a little.  Wash them off.  For kale or collards, I’m going to try stemming them next time–my first attempt was with kale, and I do think the stem is very fibrous…   But, it also has a lot of juice.

Pound the wilted greens on a cutting board with a rolling pin or a mallet to crush them and release the juices.  (Something heavy to crush, but not, I would think, anything metal like a hammar.)  Stuff them into the quart jar–using pressure to force more and more greens into the jar.  Make sure you have liquid covering the leaves.  Put on the lid, put the jar in a plate, and let it ferment for 2-3 weeks.  You can leave it longer if you like.  The jar may overflow in the first fermenting action–thus the plate.  Next time I’m pouring my overflow back into the jar.

You can also dry Gundru after it’s ready.  I think I’d use my dehydrator.  But, you can dry the leaves outside too.  They must be really dry or they’ll mold.  Crumble them into soups/stews.

Written by louisaenright

October 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

7 Responses

1. Thanks for sharing this recipe, looks as easy as making sauerkraut:) You say to make sure the greens are covered with liquid, are you referring to a brine made with sea salt & water?

Nancy Boitos

February 16, 2014 at 12:28 pm

• Hi there. Thanks for reading my blog. The liquid comes off of the kale itself as you pack it down. I liked the gundru, but was not wild about it. The stems need chopping finely when you drag the leaves out of the jar. I did like about 1/4 cup on top of things–soups, stews, rice, etc. A nice little condiment. I have not made it since. What I have done is to add shredded kale–sans the stalk–to my sauerkraut like mixtures–and it’s really doing well there. Will go that direction in the future.

louisaenright

February 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm

• Thanks for your response! I love kale & am trying to incorporate it more into my diet. I’m going to try it with my kraut next time I make it. Great idea!

Nancy Boitos

February 21, 2014 at 10:42 am

2. Have you eve thought abbout adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. However imagine
    if you added some great graphics or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Your content is excellent buut with pics and videos, this blog could definitely
    be one of the most beneficial iin its field. Excellent blog!

iodoral Supplement

February 20, 2014 at 9:15 am

• Yes, I agree. I added the ability to put in videos last year and have enjoyed that ability a lot. Graphs are probably beyond me at this point–unless someone else does it. Mostly I’m trying to point people toward information that is useful to them. Thanks for reading the blog and for your comments. Louisa

louisaenright

February 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm

3. I’m not sure why but this weblog is loading extremely
    slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end?
    I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

Kami

March 3, 2014 at 1:34 am

• It’s probably your server strength. I’m down in Virginia at a timeshare and am having the same trouble. Very slow server…

louisaenright