Louisa Enright's Blog

Mainely Tipping Points

Turkey Tracks: The Aurifil is Finally Gone

with 8 comments

Turkey Tracks:  February 18, 2012

The Aurifil is Finally Gone

Here it is:  the –finally–empty Aurifil spool:

I must be the only quilter in the world who does not like Aurifil.

And, I don’t like it.

Yes, it lasts FOREVER.  It’s like the Energizer Bunny of quilting threads.  And, it doesn’t produce much lint.

I feel like I’m sewing with spider silk, though.  And, it isn’t very strong.  And, it does not “stick” to the cotton fabric in the way the Mettler I mostly use does.  It has a tendency to unravel at the edges of seams as a result–which is a HUGE pain when piecing blocks as they start to come undone at the edges as you handle them.

I bought this light grey Aurifil years ago when everyone raved about it.  So, in this moment of using up and reorganizing in the quilt room, I used up the Aurifil.

Thank heavens it’s gone!

Written by louisaenright

February 18, 2012 at 10:37 am

8 Responses

1. I love Aurifil–and use it all the time. My machines both love it, which I can’t say about all threads–some break constantly for me and give me all kinds of problems when FM quilting.

Those spools only last about 2-3 months for me, sometimes less. What thread do you prefer?

Laura

February 21, 2012 at 2:35 pm

• Very pretty quilts, Laura. Lovely FM quilting. I, too, love the New York Beauty block. I have one on this blog. Take a look? It’s called “Let There Be Light,” and you can find it by using the search feature. Louisa

louisaenright

February 24, 2012 at 9:33 am

2. Louisa , I am Alex from Aurifil ..of course I am pretty unhappy to know you do not like my threads … just for let you know I shared you post all other my social networks http://about.me/alexveronelli … as usual I never hide dissatisfaction posts … in a world where all customers are already satisfy there is no fun in to improve and refine is always my target

Alex Veronelli

February 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

• Alex, thanks for your reply. I’m so sorry I don’t like Aurifil, but not to worry, as I said, I’m in a huge minority. All the quilters I know love it. One reply here speaks to thinner seams–that’s a good point. As I said, I keep trying to find ways to like it… Louisa

louisaenright

February 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

3. I was beginning to think I was the only one who has those troubles with it. I continually keep trying to use it, but it does all the things you said. Thanks for letting me know I’m not the only one. 🙂

Kristen

February 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

4. I have noticed the easy unravel when chain piecing and then cutting the pieces apart. I hadn’t thought about it being the thread, but perhaps my stitch length. I’ll have to re-consider. Otherwise–I love how thin my seams press down when using the 50 wt.

Marlene @ KISSed Quilts

February 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm

5. You are not alone. I think Aurifil is lovely, but my sewing machine hates it. I have a lot of thread breakage and have wondered if it’s b/c I have an older machine with vertical thread feed instead of some of the newer machines where the spool lays horizontal.

Marjorie Rich,

February 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm

6. My machine has no problems with it. But I just LOVE it for hand applique-it doesn’t knot or tangle like other threads and is so nice to hand sew with. If you ever do any hand applique, please give it another chance.

Carmen Wyant